Aug 21

Covered Stones

Covered Stones

Hook: Boye 1.5mm, Size 8
Thread: DMC Cebelia #10 in Ecru
Rock: my garden (I rejected the first stone – it was far too heavy and oddly-shaped)

Last year I saw this and Kati was kind enough to lead me to Resurrection Fern as her inspiration (her Covered Stones set is here).

As a brand new crocheter, I thought her stones were to be admired rather than duplicated, so I had no plans to attempt it until recently when So KnitPicky pointed me to the Purl Bee instructions for Margaret Oomen’s stones. I just had to try this simpler version of the coveted covered stones. Now that I understand the concept a little better, it’s quite tempting to try more of a free-form design.

Ravelry project details here

It turned out great! Were you confused by step 5 too? It’s probably just that I don’t have enough experience reading patterns without the aid of a chart.

Thank you! Yes, I was confused at first by several steps in the pattern, so my “visual aid” turned out to be of the trial-and-error variety. With crochet, even when I do have an illustration to guide me, I just have to start the project with the belief that it will make sense as I go along (and it usually does). I still don’t know if I’ve done it right, but it still works.

Whoohoo..look at you go! That looks lovely. :)

I love it, Janet — and the shredded paper arrangement…

What a cool idea!! Would make a cute paper weight or door stopper!

Thank you, Jayne! Do you need one? Send me one of your rocks and I’ll dress it up :-) The river rocks you have at your house are perfect for this — flat and round.

5. Margie says:

I need to improve my crochet skills… that is just beautiful! I’d love to try it!

6. Sue says:

This is so gorgeous… like an objet d’art.