Oct 10

Small Things : Fair Isle Hat

First Fair Isle
[ Project details on Ravelry ]

I finally attempted one of the things on my “to learn” list for this year — a Fair Isle hat. When I saw this pop up on Ravelry, I had to try it. Staci of verypink.com has begun a series of FREE video tutorials (with accompanying patterns that you can purchase) to allow you to learn techniques any time you feel like it! If you already know how to do colorwork, you won’t need to watch the videos, and the pattern (which includes a baby hat and an adult hat – the pattern is unisex) can stand alone. I was especially interested in this after seeing from the video that she doesn’t carry the contrast color in her left hand — and that’s important to me because I’m not a Continental knitter (yet).

Here are just a few of the many reasons I’ve been anxious to learn Fair Isle:

Spillyjane Knits Cupcake Mittens
Mini Mochi Fair Isle Hat and Mittens, by Sandi Rosner
Chawne’s version of Elinor Brown’s Min Ulla Set
Norwegian Star Earflap Hat, by Tiennie

Now all I need to learn is how to knit faster!

1. Stacey says:

Amazing job!! Love this.

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Janet, brandi. brandi said: Small Things : Fair Isle Hat: [ Project details on Ravelry ] I finally attempted one of the things on my β€œto lear… http://bit.ly/a4PN3u […]

3. GinnyL says:

At the moment I am learning to knit cables from Staci at verypink. Would love to knit fair isle, one for latter. I love the hat, beautiful colours.
    GinnyL

Hi Ginny! Thank you – now that you’re familiar with Staci’s video/teaching format, there’s no reason not to try another soon. πŸ™‚

Very good reasons to learn Fair Isle πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the video link. Beautiful hat!

Great work! It’s sooo cute.

Thanks for the link to the videos. They are done well! I like having the full-view inset like that. Also, she’s rockin’ the nail polish, and it looks like it even matches her contrast yarn πŸ™‚

Thank you! I meant to bring it to show you but left it where I’d been blocking it. Next time!

And aren’t the videos great?! Yep – she rocks the polish! I think she should start including the polish info with the vids. πŸ™‚

6. Adorable hat — can’t wait to see some of your other projects with colorwork.

7. Sallie says:

So cute! Isn’t fair isle fun?

8. Rebecca says:

Oh it’s very sweet, you did such a good job.

I somehow managed to “lose” your blog. So glad I’ve found it again! Congrats on having your pattern picked up by Knit Picks. πŸ™‚

I’m glad you found me too! I noticed you ended your blog hiatus — with a lot of news! Congratulations on the arrival of TwistedTexanette and my sincere condolences for your losses and sadness.