Oct 20

Once again : Fair Isle Hat

One more : Bunny Slope Adult Hat
[ Ravelry Project Details ]

Basic two-colour Fair Isle requires no new techniques beyond the basic knit stitch. (The purl stitch is not used.) At each knit stitch, there are two available “active” colours of yarn; one is drawn through to make the knit stitch, and the other is simply held behind the piece, carried as a loose strand of yarn behind the just-made stitch

More practice. I mentioned to somebody the other day that stranded color knitting (or Fair Isle knitting), is so enjoyable because I know what to do with each stitch. The motifs repeat horizontally (the motif for the Bunny Slope Hat is 15 stitches wide) and there’s a sense of rhythm when you see how each stitch relates to the others. Now I’m moving on to a pattern that’s slightly more complicated (another hat) in order to feel absolutely comfortable with the process before I tackle the Cupcake Mittens I’ve queued. And after that, could the Gnome Mittens be far behind?

1. nice job on the hat — I think you are ready for mittens!

It looks great! I like the cupcake mittens, but I *love* the gnome mittens and hadn’t seen that before. I’ve been a fan of gnomes since the movie Amelie. I’m thinking it would be sooo cute to knit A a dress with gnomes along the hem.

I love gnomes a lot but something about the cupcakes is so “sweet” and girly. I definitely plan to do both, but now that you mention it, the gnomes seem slightly less complicated 🙂 Hmmm

Actually I looked at it closely…are there some rows (like where the beard is) that have 3 colors? I haven’t done that before

I love it. I think you should try the three colors. You can do it. Have you ever seen this video. She explains the process very well.
    Plus I just love her- I want her to be my nana and talk to me all day with her fabulous voice.
    I can’t wait to see the mittens. Your hat is beautiful!

5. Ashley says:

Really pretty hat! I haven’t been brave enough to try fair isle yet. Does it feel like a juggling yarn, and then tangling it?

Thank you, Ashley! I recommend this pattern — I started with the baby hat first and I did get the yarn strands twisted around a few times until I started working the main color from a yarn ball on my right and then the contrast color from a ball on the left.

I hope you try it! As long as you’re starting fair isle with a small project (in the round), you’ll find that it’s a lot easier than you thought.

6. […] For those who love gnomes: […]