Jan 20

New Path

“There is a time in every man’s education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till. The power which resides in him is new in nature, and none but he knows what that is which he can do, nor does he know until he has tried.” (Self Reliance, Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Did you guess? I started back to school on Wednesday. My work is cut out for me. It’s been a very, very long time since I was a college student and I was a little bit anxious about the whole thing. But everything has been okay. I’ll be taking a few core classes before I get to the fun stuff, but I’m excited and hopeful about this new path. I’ll still be blogging and knitting, but some of my posts might be about . . . school.

Thank you all for the supportive and encouraging comments on my previous post. You continue to affirm for me that blogging is a positive force and that we gain so much from one another through what we share, selective as it can be sometimes. I value each one of you and take your words and sentiments with me when I read them.

1. D a r i n says:

WOW!! Back to school!!!? I know you’ll do well!! I can remember you ALWAYS being a great student!! I applaud you!!!

2. Stacey says:

Oh that is great!!! And thank you for the quote from Emerson. That was JUST what I needed this morning. You are going to do great!!

3. gail says:

That is awesome, Janet! Best of luck!

4. Deann says:

So excited for you!!

5. cauchy09 says:

Oh, hooray! I hope you enjoy the work. It’s meant to be a challenge, but you are certainly up to it. Good luck!

<3. Aside from the awesomeness of your venture, let's not forget the giddiness of…school supplies! Hooray! Oh, and leave room in the bag for knitting in between classes too ;-)

7. Yeah, so exciting. What are you taking? You’ll do fine. When I went back to school after 20 years the first thing I realized was how much easier it all was after some life experience. Don’t be surprised to find yourself the smartest one in the class. It’s a nice feeling!

8. Gayle says:

I am SOOOO excited for you!! Congratulations and good luck.

Congratulations on being back to school! I still enjoy taking classes here and there about languages! I so like to learn and I must admit, I love taking notes ;-)))

What a wonderful new path for you! Good for you. I think this journey will be amazing.

Janet, I’m in tears as I see your perspective. I’m so excited for you and can’t wait to hear more! (LYSM!) – Jerri

I am excited for you. I went back to school in my forties. I finished when my son was in kindergarten and my daughter in high school. Whew! I’ve always been glad I did it. No wonder I enjoy your blog. My best friends are English majors. Best of luck to you and this new journey!

Wow! Congratulations! My friend just got her MA in Art History. She is 70. It’s never too late.

14. Beverly J says:

Congratulations on returning to school how exciting! My hubby is currently working on a graduate degree in health care, and I plan to return soon. I believe you are never to old to learn. :) I also believes it keeps the mind young for years to come. :)

By the way, your previous post was a beautiful one.

Smiles….

Beverly

15. Sunny says:

Kudos!!!! How very exciting and way to go :)

16. Debbie Deatherage says:

Yay Janet! Even though I may not know you very well, I recognize a very smart & savvy woman when I see one! Best of luck, though you won’t need it. I can already envision you as dept. head! (Not that I know which career path you’re seeking!)

17. Margie says:

I’m so proud of you… and excited as well! You will do great things!

18. Sallie says:

Wow! Good for you. I know you will do well.

19. Alisa says:

Congratulations Janet, you’ve taken the first step. You know that’s the hardest! Good for you.

So very proud of you baby sister!! You’ll do well and the sky’s the limit!!

21. Janet! I am 47 and started my MS in Nursing last week. Started prereqs last Jan with one stats class, and Honestly, there were many students in that class who were NOT BORN at the time I took my last math class (senior year of high school, 28 yrs ago!!) It is so exciting to begin something new – new friends, new identity, new things to read and think about. Congrats and have fun!!

22. Brenda says:

Congratulations! And best of luck! Both my parents were English teachers, my father a university professor. One of the most valuable things he taught me was actually very annoying in the learning: he would always answer exactly the question I asked. When I complained that wasn’t what I had meant, he would say, “Brenda, English is a precise language. One must use it precisely if one wishes to be understood correctly.” He was right, blast him.

23. Kim says:

Sorry I’m so late with my comments. I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavors and this exciting new phase.