Mar 08

Just the basics

I really didn’t intend to disappear for so long! I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to balance everything — school, work, family, and everything in between. It hasn’t been easy, but things are beginning to run more smoothly. School is going well and I’m adjusting to the work load. I try to reward myself with some knitting time while I’m studying, but it doesn’t always work out.

I’ll have a lot to share next week — it’s Spring Break! I’ve got knitting books to review, some interesting new information about my Japanese ancestry, and photos of finished projects. Meanwhile, just for fun, check out this learning styles questionnaire. What predominant learning styles are your default? I’d love to know — leave a comment if you feel comfortable doing so. I’ll share mine next time.

I’m still a little bit overwhelmed in Biology Lab, but it’s getting better. Doesn’t this specimen look gross? (It’s actually just . . . dirt).

It’s nice to see you back! I’m sure your life is definitely upside down, but you’re pulling it off. I’m so glad you decided to do it vs waiting for the ‘right time.’

I’m dying to hear what you found out about our ancestry and had fun taking that test. I’m sure you can predict the results. I’m excited for your Spring Break!

(m)
    Jerri

2. O-chica says:

It’s so nice to see you’re getting controls back.

My learning style was “mild read/write”, with kinesthetic, by the way. A little of visual, too, but not aural at all. Interesting. No wonder I learned a lot of knitting technique by (hoarding and) reading books and blogs, but not by attending to classes.

3. Sometimes you just need to sit down and catch up with yourself before you can catch up with the wider world.

It is good to hear from you.
    Visual: 4
    Aural: 10
    Read/Write: 12
    Kinesthetic: 7
    I guess I like it all except for charts and graphs!
    Glad to hear everything is beginning to run more smoothly.

Hi! It’s funny how a little smidge of dirt can look scary, or beautiful, depending how you look at things!

6. Stacey says:

I thought it sort of looked like an overbaked pepperoni pizza. ;)

So, I’m visual and read/write multimodal. They were 8 and 7 respectively. The other two scores were 1 and 0. LOL

That was a fun little quiz, I am a Kinesthetic learner. Interesting little factoid. :)
    Glad to hear things are going smoother for you. I hope they continue to do so and that you find a little more time for some yarn therapy.

Apparently, I have a mild Read/Write learning preference ;-) I’m not surprised at all! Have a wonderful and well deserved spring break!

That was fun! I’m V5, A0, R6, K5.

10. Brenda says:

Your scores were:

Visual: 12
    Aural: 12
    Read/Write: 14
    Kinesthetic: 11

I think getting a Ph.D. in biochemistry and then working as a biochemist really requires being able to learn in many different ways. I do know that I can’t just watch someone do something I don’t know how to do (say a new cast-on method) and pick it up without either reading or hearing a set of directions. I can learn from step-by-step pictures or a video with verbal instructions, but not from a silent video (something my husband can do–but I like to think he’s a bit of a freak that way).

That bio-lab, which every bio student does at some point in school, really brings home the message that the world is full and covered with bacteria. But that’s good; we’d be dead without them.

11. […] Patterns « Just the basics […]