May 31

Balanced

Weaving . . .

I am so thrilled with my first woven scarf and I’m planning to start another one soon — in shades of purple and blue. I want to try to achieve a more even selvedge and a more balanced fabric. While I still have a lot to learn, I love that the process of weaving yields a wearable object fairly quickly! If you’re intrigued and you’ve been considering giving weaving a try, I highly recommend it. While an in-person class is ideal, Craftsy now has a Rigid Heddle Weaving class that looks really comprehensive and complete. She uses both the 10″ Cricket Loom (which is what I learned with — this loom costs less than a set of Addi Clicks) and also a larger 24″ loom. If you’re like me, however, and you prefer to read extensively about a new skill before trying it, the best weaving books to get are:

Weaving Made Easy: 17 Projects Using a Simple Loom and
The Weaver’s Idea Book: Creative Cloth on a Rigid Heddle Loom

(My local library had both books in circulation — yours might too!)

If you like to read about the history of your favorite fiber arts, weaving is one of the most ancient of skills. It’s part of many diverse cultures — look for it in your own ancestral beginnings.

Of course, I had all the reasons that you do for not starting yet ANOTHER hobby, but in the end, I just said “yes” to myself. I said “yes” to trying it because I felt that there was something about weaving that I needed. I’m still in that process of discovery, but I know enough to want to keep doing it. And a rigid heddle loom is definitely in my future.

Perhaps these Georgia O’Keefe quotes will give you the inspiration to say “yes” to yourself too:

I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life — and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.

I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way – things I had no words for.

1. kristin says:

Hooray! I’m so glad you’re weaving. I actually met some of the Craftsy girls at Quilt Market a few weeks ago, and they said even more rigid heddle classes are on their way. I should get out my loom – I have a 24″ Leclerc that I bought on Ravelry for $100 – and start weaving again. Woven scarves make excellent gifts.

Thank you, Kristin! I’m seriously considering the Craftsy class — and I’m glad that more are coming! So is your Leclerc a rigid heddle too?

2. Sallie says:

I like your Georgia O’Keefe quotes. One of my favorite quotes is from the movie ‘Strictly Ballroom’. “A life lived in fear is a life half lived.” or something close to that. Love the weaving. I may have to try it.

3. O-CHICA says:

Wow, so beautiful! I’d say, it was a good “yes”! :-)

4. Evelyn says:

There are two specific new hobbies that I would love to try: spinning and weaving. Both require new “toys” which has kept me hands off for a while but seeing your beautiful woven scarf and knowing that the 10″ cricket loom wouldn’t break the bank (nor require a whole other room to house it), I’m leaning ….

Evelyn, I was the same way! I definitely want to learn how to do both. For me, it made sense to try weaving first, so that later when I learn how to spin, I have a goal for the yarn I make. I’ll warn you though — while the 10″ Cricket is great to learn on, you’ll want a wider one for optimum versatility. That said, there’s no reason to not have more than one loom. :-) PS. Think of it not as a toy, but a tool.

This was just so beautiful! The colors you chose work really well. I’m so so tempted to take a class (because I’m not one to read extensively first). I am not sure how I’ll feel about the warping, but I know I’d love the weaving part.

Thank you! I think you’d actually like the warping part — it’s either right or wrong. There’s not a lot to mess up, though it might be a little tedious.

6. Debbie says:

Love those colors on you. The scarf is beautiful.

Such great handiwork, Janet! I love the scarf – and needed those quotes today, too…

Jerri

Thank you — my sisters will get scarves too, of course, but you’ll have to wait till I find a next-to-the-neck softness level that would be Jerri-approved.

8. […] take a rigid heddle weaving class at your local yarn shop Step 2: Take the loom home to finish your project (so fast!) and start another one, and accidentally warp the loom backwards. Console yourself that […]