Aug 24

Starting is easy

Noro Taiyo Sock

Magic Loop and Noro Taiyo sock

I bought this yarn last year intending to knit a scarf, but quickly learned it wasn’t going to work out the way I envisioned. It was a little unwieldy working from the center of the skein, so I decided to wind it into a looser ball/cake and stashed it away in my sock yarn bin. I came across it the other day when I was evaluating my stash for potential weaving yarns and decided to swatch the Noro Taiyo as a sock (since it *is* sock yarn after all). I opted for Magic Loop since the Taiyo is single-ply and I was fearful of breaking the yarn if I tugged too hard.

Did you notice how my “swatch” turned in to a sock-in-progress?

It never fails that when I start knitting with a self-striping sock yarn, I can’t stop. I’m eager to watch the colors transition — it’s so satisfying. The added plus is that it’s a little bit of anticipation that enhances what would otherwise be a “plain” sock. And while I love knitting with double-pointed needles, I think that this yarn (and other Noro sock yarns) calls for Magic Loop.

I learned Magic Loop very recently, after trying unsuccessfully to teach myself. My friend Gayle proposed a coffee/knitting session in order to learn it and I eagerly accepted, and it turned out that my former trouble with Magic Loop was in getting started (imagine that) so after getting everything situated, Magic Loop is just like knitting in the round on two circulars. If you’re a sock knitter, I hope you try it. But if you don’t have a local yarn shop where you can take a Magic Loop class, I recommend Very Pink’s pattern and video.

Didn’t you feel like starting something today?

1. Charlotte says:

I’m really close to finishing a pair of plain socks. I also used magic loop, but I made them toe up and two at a time. The yarn is self striping in rainbow colours so that makes it interesting. Just the cuff ribbing. Then I need to learn Elisabeth Zimmermann’s sewn bind off. Wish me luck!

Oh, Janet, I love that and what a great color scheme!

I felt like starting something new today, but maybe I can even finish a few things, too. ;)

Jerri <3

Thank you! There are at least TWO people I think of when I see these colors and one of them is you!

PS I had a dream about L.A. last night . . . specifically that I was visiting all your favorite places. Is that a sign?

I saw this yesterday when I was browsing through Ravelry, and I thought it was amazing!

Thank you! I’m on the heel flap right now (not my favorite part) so progress has slowed. This is the point at which I normally start another sock, but I’m resisting!

I love the way Noro colors flow. Your jeweled purples are gorgeous! The few times I have used the magic loop method I have loved it, but only after I struggle for a while. It just is hard for my brain to get it!

Thank you, Kristen! I was like you in that it gives me pause every time I start a new project using Magic Loop — but now I’m more confident that once I start, it’s okay. Using DPNs is much more natural to me, though. I just want all the different skills! LOL!

Such pretty colors. Your socks will be beautiful. Thank you for the magic loop link. I have tried to do magic loop / toe up, but I keep having a hole at each side. I’ve tried pulling it very tight and that seems to make it worse! Her video is easy to understand so maybe I will master the holes (loose stitches) at each side.

6. kate says:

Love the colors! I really need to learn how to magic loop. It has been on my to-do list for far too long!