Sep 07

Mavericks *

Lonestar Montgomery - path to Building F

The path to Building F

The first two weeks of classes are under my belt and I’m feeling a little less overwhelmed. Texas History is incredibly interesting and spans the time period from the earliest arrival of humans in Texas (about 10,000 – 12,000 years ago from Siberia via the Bering Strait land bridge to the area in the Texas panhandle near the Canadian and Red River) through present-day Texas. The textbook is excellent — I highly recommend it for anybody interested in Texas history.

There’s a ton of reading in this class and I’m glad the subject matter and supplemental reading is interesting because it’s challenging to carve out the time for all of it.

Texas History class

Early arrival to Texas History

As for Creative Writing, while it’s gotten better each day, it’s far from easy for me! For somebody who only writes creatively when the mood or the moment strikes, to be assigned something that requires creativity ON THE SPOT (we write something EVERY time we meet) is a much bigger challenge than I anticipated. I do see the value in it and I’m participating and keeping up, but if your perception was like mine — that it would be fun and self-indulgent — that’s only part of the bigger picture. It’s work. We can choose to explore the direction the writing assignment takes us, but it’s still an assignment. The reward is in the doing and in developing the writing (and editing and revising) habit. And by the end of the course, I’ll have a full portfolio of “finished” writing. I’m hoping to be brave enough to share my writing in this space.

But today? I’m just extremely glad it’s Friday and I have a weekend ahead of me.

* Lone Star College‘s official mascot is the Maverick.

1. D a r i n says:

I too am glad it’s Friday!! Whew! I hope you share some of your writings! I’m a big fan. of you. I want you to do well.

2. O-CHICA says:

I think my community English class was in building F. It was 8 and 1/2 years ago, at the time the college had some vacant classroom to offer to those free classes for non-English-speaking residents.

I believe you’ll enjoy the challenge once you got the rhythm. Have a good time!

3. Soknitpicky says:

That sounds like an amazing challenge! Even though it’s daunting, I imagine it really is valuable to learn how to turn on that creativity on demand, or at least to learn how to turn off the barriers to creativity and see what happens.

Thank you! I do think it’s highly valuable; it’s humbling to realize I haven’t really flexed those creative muscles as much as I might have thought.

4. Stacey says:

Oh it NEVER felt self-indulgent to me. I thought you were VERY brave. Still do.

I love reading about your classes – and can’t wait to read something you share!

6. Judy says:

I hope you do share some of your writings. The book looks like something that my Texas kids would love to read.

Thank you, Judy! Galveston (along with the entire Gulf Coast area), figures HIGHLY in early Spanish exploration of Texas – although I knew that, I didn’t have a sense of context for the parallel explorations in New England.

You are just amazing and inspiring. I think we would all love to read some of your writings!

8. erin says:

I’m so excited just thinking that you’re enjoying your classes :) Have I ever mentioned that in real life I’m a uni prof? It’s fun to know that you’re in my kind of world in real life too :) Wishing you a great semester ahead!