Dec 05

Adiri Cowl

Mind of Winter Designs - Adiri Cowl

Adiri in Cascade Venezia

For the past several years, my fellow co-workers and I have each created handmade ornaments for the annual holiday gift exchange. This year, the focus was slightly different — we drew names for our secret “cowl pals” and each of us worked on a cowl based on the intended recipient’s favorite colors, stitch patterns, and/or techniques. When Julia at Mind of Winter Designs posted a new pattern set (pullover and cowl), I thought the design was perfect for Debbie G. — she loves cables and Adiri has an understated feminine design — the cables aren’t bulky. I had several great colors of Cascade Venezia to choose from but ultimately took the advice of a friend who chose the deep purple.

I reacquainted myself with knitting with Denise Needles and I was thrilled with how the yarn and needle combo worked well together. The Venezia would have been a bit too slippery for my Addi Clicks and a little too draggy for my Clover bamboo circulars.

While I have admired Julia’s designs for years, this might be the first time I’ve knit one — but it won’t be my last because I’m eyeing the Adiri pullover for myself (and definitely the slouchy Adiri hat)

Mind of Winter Designs - Adiri Cowl

Adiri Cowl – Stitch Pattern

1. Gail says:

It’s beautiful – your friend will love to receive this gift! I’ve heard great things about Venezia, I’ve really got to try it one of these days!

Thank you, Gail! Venezia is one of those yarns I’ve known of but never reached for till now. I absolutely love it! I really like cables but worry about the bulk and don’t always want the chunky texture. But I like how the Venezia silk/merino blend smooths out a cable without making it look flat. Try it!

This is so beautiful! I love all the Adiri designs and wish I could pull off the hat. The pullover is a definite possibility!

Oh! And you should mention your lovely nails ;-)

3. very pretty — love the color!

4. Katie says:

Wow, how gorgeous! I’m sure your coworker will love it :)

You haven’t lost your touch, I see! I’m impressed you finished this plus work and school work! Your “cowl pal” will love it!

6. Lolly says:

How lovely! The color with that stitch pattern is just divine! I’m feeling a bit envious.

7. LynneW says:

Oooooh. Looks so soft and warm. And I love the color! I’ll have to see if my local yarn store carries Venezia. You have done a beautiful job. I tried cables once many years ago; it may be time to try them again with this pattern.

In other news, Jenny Crusie has a post on writing that you may find interesting –

She’s doing an online class for McDaniel College. Hope it’s useful to you!

Thank you, Lynne! These cables are very straightforward — please give cables a chance!

I appreciate your link to Jenny Crusie — it is useful! I need to re-write a few scenes and this will come in handy.

8. […] love the Twisted Knitter’s Adiri Cowl. Although it could be the color (what? Aren’t you all drawn to patterns when the sample is […]

9. Amy Tilson says:

That is gorgeous!! I’m a total newbie, so a lot of this was Greek to me. However, you had me at purple!! This is exactly why I am learning. Looking forward to reading more. Found you from Stacey’s Daze.

Hi Amy! Thanks for visiting and commenting :-) I can still relate to being a newbie — there’s always something new to learn. Yarn draws me in like nothing else and it’s usually the color that attracts me (and inspires me!) first. Happy knitting!

10. Lisa says:

I love the cowl! Nice color too.