Jan 28

Not going anywhere

Despite all evidence to the contrary, and for those who have wondered and sent thoughtful emails, I am not going anywhere — and neither is my blog home! The blog break was unintentional, but I leaned in to it. I recently decided that I’m taking this semester off from school and am not enrolled in any classes. Instead, I’m really looking forward to spending quality time with my yarn!

Sock planning session

Last week, I had a fun planning session related to my sock knitting queue. I love knitting socks, and I want to honor that this year, because time and knitting opportunities are precious. Since I already have (and continually seek) more sources of sock knitting inspiration than anything else (books, individual patterns, Pinterest, Ravelry), I am excited about my idea. (Obviously, I also have the stash to support it). I am not ashamed to admit that I focused on a plan that works out in my favor:

Sock of the Month plan

Short version of my plan: I get to start a new sock on the first of every month. To make the decision making process easier, I am working ahead to match patterns to stash, printing out hard copies of patterns (or referring to the book or digital source) and placing yarn, pattern, and related notions in a plastic zipper bag. I can choose one bag every month, and leave the bin undisturbed till I get another “turn” the following month. (Hat tip to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, who had a similar idea a few years back). Eight months later, she updated that the system was really working out for her. The main difference between her plan and mine is that I don’t have to intend to complete a pair before I start a sock project on the first of the month. (After all, it’s my plan and I can do as I want, right?) Also, my rules are loose enough that I’m not going to blindly choose a bag — I’ll decide when I open the bin which project I want to knit.

Guess who’s looking forward to February 1st?

Glad to see you posting again. I’m looking forward to your new socks! I tried this a few years ago, but having a wee one in the house kinda smashed my plan to bits. Maybe I’ll try it again now that she’s older. ;)

Thanks, Kristen. I’m glad to be back. For what it’s worth, organizing my stash and planning the patterns has been a lot of fun. She could “help” with that!

2. jody says:

love this plan – especially the part where you don’t have to force yourself to finish each month. it gives you some structure but also allows for creativity.

now i’m curious – what did you do for january?

Hi Jody — In January, I finished a pair of socks. (Shurtugal) As it’s been so cold here, I was compelled to revisit my single socks and see which ones I wanted to finish mates for. Believe it or not, that’s what inspired this whole thing — knowing that I could knit single socks guilt-free and “bank” them.

3. Gayle says:

So glad to see your blog entry. The plan for your personal sock club sounds like fun. What a pleasant way to welcome the month. I look forward to seeing your socks and reading about your experiences along the way. Welcome back to the blogosphere. We’ve missed your thoughtful musings.

4. Gail says:

I’m so glad you’re not going anywhere :-)

This is a really neat and creative idea. I already saw one sock on IG today – hope you’ll keep us updated on which project you choose each month!

5. O'Chica says:

I like your plan – loose enough to have your own choice, AND productive enough to start a pair of socks every month. As we sock knitters all know, one of the main reason to slow down our knitting is boredom. It’s a nice idea to have fresh cheer-up project every month.
    Looking forward for you to tell us which project you chose each month!

So glad to see your lovely face back. All I have to say to you is ..Mwah, big kisses to you!

7. Alleigh says:

I’m normally a lurker, but so glad to see you’re not going anywhere! Having just taken my own unintentional break, it happens…and it sounds like you’re having a chance to refocus, which is great. Can’t wait to see what you have in store for each month.

8. Lorette says:

I”m glad you’re back! I like your sock club plan. Mine isn’t very adventurous, I only knit plain vanilla socks in wild colors, so not much to plan for there!